Book Designers from the Netherlands
- author: Brigitte Schuster
- title: Book Designers from the Netherlands
- ISBN 9783033042599
- publication date: May 2014
- publication place: Bern, Switzerland
- page count: 256
- dimensions: 16 cm x 24 cm x 2.1 cm
- weight: 0.64 kg
- binding: softcover
- special features: open spine, sewn in sections of 16 pages using orange coloured thread, cold-glued, opens flat, two loosely inserted ribbons of different colours
- illustrations: 278 colour pictures
- language: English
- genre: Art, Design
Between 2010 and 2013, Schuster interviewed thirteen prominent, contemporary book designers from the Netherlands. The interviews provide a fascinating look into the worlds of book designers who belong to different generations, and whose work has been shaped by different experiences and career choices. What emerges is an intimate look into the book designing process and the designers themselves. Schuster uncovers the methodology of each designer, from detail-oriented typographers, to those who prefer a more concept-oriented approach; and from the designers who have used the book as a platform to present their own visions, to others who see themselves as craftspeople, lending their skills and artistry to other artists’ voices. All in all, the book – which is aimed at designers and book-lovers – provides a good insight into today’s Dutch book design scene. In addition to the textual interviews and a foreword by Paul van Capelleveen, Curator at the Department of Collections at Koninklijke Bibliotheek, National Library of the Netherlands, the book contains a wealth of coloured illustrations of the designers and their work, many of which have never yet been reproduced.
Sample chapter and contents
download sample [in PDF]
- Foreword – Some Notes on Book Design as a Profession (Paul van Capelleveen)
- Preface (Brigitte Schuster)
- Interviews: Joost Grootens, Karen Polder, Ron van Roon, Françoise Berserik, Armand Mevis, Hansje van Halem, Walter Nikkels, Robbert & Oscar Schrover, Caroline de Lint, Bram de Does, Tessa van der Waals, Adriaan de Jonge.
- Image Sources
Reviews and events
- Book launch at Bijzondere Collecties in Amsterdam. May 09, 2014.
- TYPO Berlin Blog. Aleksandra Samulenkova, LucasFonts. May 17, 2014.
- Typo Berlin 2014. Slanted blog. Leon Howahr. May 16, 2014.
- cadoc.nl. Peter Koopman. June 09, 2014.
- moorsmagazine.com. Holly Moors. June 09, 2014.
Order book / Distribution
Retail price EUR 39.50 / CHF 55.00 / USD 61.00, Availability: In stock
Please fill out the 'Order form' below.
Wholesale customers (Buchhandel), please place your order here: